FOLLOW THE ORIGINAL WINGER

Sepp Blatter steps in to fix Togo’s African Nations Cup Problem; ban lifted

Written By:

|

May 8, 2010

Togo will be allowed to compete in the 2012 and 2014 Africa Cup of Nations tournaments after FIFA president Sepp Blatter helped convince the CAF to remove the ban imposed because the nation pulled out of the Angola 2010 edition.

CAF president Issa Hayatou has agreed to ask his executive committee to vote next week to readmit Togo to the next two editions of the ACN, to be held in Gabon and Equatorial Guinea in 2012 and Libya in 2014 after Togo’s appeal was heard in the court of arbitration for sport, who invited Blatter to mediate.

Blatter said in a CAS statement: “I am very pleased that we have been able to find a solution which is satisfactory for both parties. The success today is for the entire football community, in particular for African football.”

Elitsa Lanou, Togo’s technical director, said in a statement: “This decision is good news for us. It gives us a real bounce. If the sanction had been upheld, we would have been knocked flat. Now we have to organise and move on.”

The qualifying draw for the 2012 tournament was made in February without Togo, but it will now be redone ahead of the first matches set to take place in September.

words : image

Related News

World Cup Expanded to 48 Teams in 2026
Official FIFA U-17 WC India 2017 Emblem
Sarai Bareman: Chief Women’s Football Officer

About Author

isps

Leave a Comment

Leave A Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *